In Memory Of My Grandma, Papa And Mama

| Tuesday, April 12, 2022 | , , , , |

It's April 13 today, when I remember my Grandma (Oma Minna), my Papa (Hans Werner) and my Mama (Juana) as today is the date of their death anniversaries. My grandmother and father died from our vehicular accident on April 12, 1974 in Germany. My mother succumbed to cancer way back in April 13, 1991.

There used to be a number of people who could tell me something about my father - anecdotes from his visits in the Philippines, how he loved to stroll our barrio with a liter of soft drink in hand, how he loved to join get-togethers even fiestas in town. Some even told me that my sons Allan and Charlie resemble him, and that they are reminded of my father when he taught them a few songs for boy scout camping. Oh yes, even the funny story that he would brag with a drinking buddy that I - as a two year old could drink a glassful of beer - and that barrio people would be wowed that indeed I can drink without thinking of the bitter taste! (Honestly, that's what I do not recall, however funny it may sound!) 

But there is that wanting in me to know more about my folks in Hedemuenden, Germany and from Bonn. I used to feel so alone when thinking of my departed relatives, more so because I am an only child and grew up here in the Philippines with barely any direct communication with our folks there. That was my sentiment more than 20 years ago... but thanks to social media, I was able to find my father's cousin Inga, whom I knew from childhood, whose family took me in when my father and grandmother passed away. A special mention for her in this blog, that I am grateful for the communication with her and I am inspired by her always!

Thru social media I was also able to get in touch with the Immke clan. I would've loved to be a part of an online family tree somewhere, if they should build one. That would be super!







My father was born before the World War 2 in Hedemuenden, Germany. He worked at the German Embassies in Prague, in London and in Berlin as secretary, respectively. Yes, he was great in playing the accordion and the piano as well, I think.

Photobucket

My mother when she was still working at the Philippine Embassy in Hamburg.

Photobucket

My father and mother during their civil wedding.
They got married exactly two years before my birthday.

Photobucket

My grandmother, who was an industrious and kind woman, was from Czechoslovakia, originally. My mother and her always got along. She majored in Home Economics and was really a good homemaker. From my mother's stories, my Oma loved to work on her embroidery, I actually still have the handiwork she worked on as a keepsake. And her collection of silverware and china.





Photobucket
An earlier photo of my grandfather, Heinrich, who according to my mom, died after the war when my late father was still a young lad. I was looking among my files, the Familien-Stammbuch, and I found his obituary. I don't know the meaning of the rest of the words but it says he died in November 1950. So I guess my father was 7 years old by that time.

That is all I know or all I remember about my German relatives. I hope of searching for more, most times trawling through the genealogy databases, GEDCOMs and what-have-you of family histories. Sad to say, I've hit the brickwall many times because our surname is spelt differently. Sometimes it's Buelchmann and sometimes with the "umlaut" (the two dots on top of 'u') We jokingly refer to as "Two dots on top of you"

I'll be posting another entry about family trees and what search results came up ten years ago..



This is what Hedemuenden looks like, as shared by a new friend.

Bookmark and Share
More photos of my folks from Hedemuenden

Photobucket





An old photo of my mother taken at the Philippine Embassy in Hamburg circa 1965



No comments:

Newer Post Older Post

Ms. Donyarific provides travel and sight-seeing on a budget, photography, Filipino culture, North Luzon tourism. Ms Donyarific from the Philippines posts about life interest topics, the nearest places to hang out in the province she visits, Dagupan City, Mangaldan, San Fabian, Pangasinan and Baguio City, which she loves most of all!

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Ms Donyarific