Remembering Our Heroes On Memorial Day - For Music Monday Move's Me

 


Glad to be back and join this week's blog-hop of Monday's Music Moves Me where the theme is "Memorial day songs remembering those who served which would be nice to share songs that person enjoyed or even songs that make you think of a particular fallen hero." 

One of the people I knew who served in the World War 2 was my Uncle Joe who joined the Philippine Scouts. His story is the only one I have heard from my grandfather and mother then. He was the eldest brother from a brood of 8. He survived the war and came home. We do remember stories of the war him and my uncles,  and the songs they used to sing. We often hear them whenever the whole family is back home in Pangasinan during the yearly Lenten breaks as we grew up.




Here are  recent photos I took at the Bonuan Tondaligan Beach where a MacArthur Commemoration Park is being built. We've been there during one of our trips to the court for notarial services that day and we took videos for Facebook reels too.


And here are songs that were popular during 1945, which my folks love. Listening to these, I miss those songs we played on our gramophone.




To honor our those who served in the war, here is one song that I just found on Youtube the title is "Paalam Na, Nanay ko" (Goodbye, Oh My Mother)

Di mo rin kaya, bayan, nalalaman?

Sugat ng puso, buhat nang sumuko

Asahan pa rin, di kita pababayaan

Ay! Kahit ako'y sumapit sa kabilang buhay


Ako'y paalam na, O Nanay ko

Ako'y lalayo na sa piling mo.

Yaman din, yan ay tungkulin ko;

Ang maglingkod, at magtanggol sa bayan ko


Di mo rin kaya, bayan, nalalaman?

Sugat ng puso, buhat nang sumuko

Asahan pa rin, di kita pababayaan

Ay! Kahit ako'y sumapit sa kabilang buhay


Kaya't ang bilin ko ay ganito:

Huwag nang babanggitin ang ngalan ko.

At kung ako'y di na makarating

ANG BANGKAY KO SA BUNDOK MO HAHANAPIN




9 comments:

csuhpat1 said...

Great songs and thanks to uncle for his service.

Alana said...

It may not surprise you that I had never heard of the Philippine Scouts and I had to read about them online - I've lived in the United States all of my life and yet never learned about all those who fought for freedom during World War II. It's important that we Americans are reminded of facts like these. I could wish the final song had a translation from the Tagalog but it does sound heartfelt. I enjoyed the other two songs I did know - I like music from this era.

songbird's crazy world said...

Yes, what Alana said

Birgit said...

This was excellent and love the last song very much.

John Holton said...

Fantastic seletion!

XmasDolly said...

What great photos & your intake of back then. Your tunes are more or less like mine. Tunes my mama use to play on her stereo too! She played them so much I know all the words. hahaha Thank you for sharing your info & pics! Very nice indeed! Have a great day!!!

Cathy Kennedy said...

How wonderful your uncle returned from WWII. Goodness that was such a bloody war. Music was such an escape for the greatest generation even if it was for a just a few minutes. Perry Como had a beautiful voice. Dick Haymes had that silky tone like Como and many others from that era. Thanks for the introduction Filipino World War II Guerrilla Song. The singers voices are humble sounding, as it was sung by young soldiers returning home for WWII. It was a pleasure to have you back with the 4M crew again. We'd love to see you at the party next week.;) Have a boogietastic day!

Ms Donyarific said...

@csuhpat1 Patrick, thanks for visiting by. Indeed, thanks to my uncle Joe for his service,
though he has passed on. He was one of those
veterans who benefitted from the Immigrant Act For Veterans to
migrate and live in the US. His surviving family is still in California.

@Alana That was one of the groups that fought during the World War
2 Japanese occupation in the Philippines. Memorial Day is indeed a great day to commemorate our soldiers' gallantry. We now understood the hardship that the troops had to go through when we recently watched the movie "The Great Raid" starred by an all-star cast including James Franco, Connie Nielsen and Cesar Montano.


I agree, Alana, I forgot to include the translation of the song, which sounds very sad when sung during those times. It means "Goodbye, O My Mother" And here is the translation:

Don't you know, my countrymen?
Wounded heart, since surrendering
Yet keep waiting, I won't let you down
Oh! Even when I reach the afterlife

I'm saying goodbye, O my Mother
I'm going away from you.
Since that is my duty;
To serve, and defend my people

Don't you know, my countrymen?
Wounded heart, since surrendering
Yet keep waiting, I won't let you down
Oh! Even when I reach the afterlife

So my request is this:
Don't mention my name anymore,
And if I can't make it
PLEASE FIND MY BODY ON THE MOUNTAIN
:'(

Amy said...

Always important to remember those who served for our countries.

Newer Post Older Post

Ms. Donyarific provides travel and sight-seeing on a budget, photography, Filipino culture, North Luzon tourism. Ms Donyarific from the Philippines posts about life interest topics, the nearest places to hang out in the province she visits, Dagupan City, Mangaldan, San Fabian, Pangasinan and Baguio City, which she loves most of all!

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Ms Donyarific