Monday's Music Moves Me - Billboard Hit Songs of 1989 A Personal Chart Flashback



This has been a great weekend meeting up with my long-lost college friends from Luzon Colleges, Dagupan City! 
I am energized to share this song Shower Me With Your Love by Surface, a hit song in 1989 which I often request from the DJ whenever we ladies visit our local FM radio station DWID (98.3 FM) after classes.  I'm also including in this flashback the Original Pilipino Music (OPM) hits Please Be Careful With My Heart by Jose Mari Chan and Asia's Songbird,  Regine Velasquez; and Mr. Dreamboy by Sheryl Cruz. These songs bring back all the wonderful memories of our college life, the songs that we listened to in the evenings while we review our notes before our exams the next day  :-)



Here are the lyrics and translation of Sheryl Cruz's Mr. Dreamboy

Ang isip ko'y litong-lito My mind is confused
Di ko alam ang gagawin I do not know what to do
Hirap ako sa paghuli nang 'yong pansin I'm having a hard time catching your attention
Kapag nasasalubong ka Whenever I see you
Dibdib ko'y kakaba-kaba My chest is heaving
Pati ang tuhod ko'y nanlalambot na rin  Even my knees are shaking too
Hayan na nga't sumulyap na ang mapupungay mong mata 
When your charming eyes catch a glimpse of me
Kasalanan ko ba ang mapatulala Is it my fault for being dazed
Ha ha ha
Mr Dreamboy Mr Dreamboy
Ano kaya ang nasa isip mo What might be on your mind
Mr Dreamboy Mr Dreamboy
Lagi kang nasa panaginip ko You are always in my dream
Doo'y kinakausap ka There you are talking with me
At sweet na sweet kang talaga And you are really sweet
Medyo may holding hands pa nga Sometimes we are holding hands
Parang ayoko nang magising pa I don't feel like waking up anymore
Heto ako't litung-lito at di alam ang gagawin Here I am, confused and don't know what to do
Buong maghapon ay nangangarap ng gising All day daydreaming
Ini-isip isip kita, ang charming mong mga mata I think of you, your charming eyes
At ang iyong ngiting walang kasing galing And your smile is nothing short of amazing
Hayan na nga't sumulyap na ang mapupungay mong mata 
When your charming eyes catch a glimpse of me
Kasalanan ko ba ang mapatulala Is it my fault for being dazed
Ha ha ha
Mr Dreamboy Mr Dreamboy
Ano kaya ang nasa isip mo What might be on your mind
Mr Dreamboy Mr Dreamboy
Lagi kang nasa panaginip ko You are always in my dream
Sana'y masabi ko sayo ang nakatagong lihim ko I hope I can tell you my hidden secret
Ikaw ang tanging dreamboy ko You are my only dreamboy
...
Mananatiling dreamboy ko You will remain my dreamboy
Ikaw ang tanging dreamboy ko You are my only dreamboy




These ladies (Lyn and Mina) and I met together at the mall in Dagupan after more than 20 plus years of not seeing one another. Though Lyn and I used to meet-up with another friend Rasha in 2001 to 2004, still we lost touch. And during those times we often talk about Mina, how she is, what she may be doing those years.. but we had no idea.  

So many years passed, Facebook helped people catch up with one another. Those times Rasha (in Japan) and I were keeping in touch. We also met up with Mina's daughter Joan, who I've found on FB. Still during those times we were unable to reach Mina. She was so busy living a provincial life, as we knew. 




(Mina and Lyn during our coffee chat)

Then this 2022 New Year, I just had the inspiration to search for our other friends. What went awesome was that all three of them replied and accepted our friend requests! That started a monthly virtual get-together of our group - all four of us - Dario (in London) Lyn, Mina, Rasha (in Japan) and me. 

This weekend we met with Mina whom we missed so much. She came all the way from Aurora Province to see us, and she has a lot of funny anecdotes of her life as a wife and mother of many kids. 

Hoping to tell our stories in this blog soon! Happy Music Monday everyone!


(Our photo taken at the Mines View Park in 1990)



 This Monday's Music Moves Me is hosted by CathyStacy and Alana. This week's 4M prompt gives us a freedom of music choice.. hurray!  Hope you can join us!


6 comments:

Veronica Lee said...

I enjoyed the videos. My fave Filipino song is Say That You Love Me by Basic Valdez.

Ms Donyarific said...

Thanks for visiting back, Veronica! Indeed, Basil Valdez is a great balladeer from the Philippines. He has a wide selection of remarkable songs recorded, all top hits. They are actually the local favorite choices in karaoke. My favorite is Tuwing Umuulan at Kapiling Ka (When It Rains And I'm With You) Happy Music Monday!

Cathy Kennedy said...

How wonderful you were able to reconnect with long ago friends once more through social media. That's the way such platforms should be used for instead of spying, tearing down, and censorsizing individuals. Although, I'm not 100% certain but I think I've heard "Shower Me With Your Love". Your last two song choices are new-to-me but I enjoyed hearing them both. I, especialy liked "Please Be Careful With My Heart". Thanks for joining the 4M dance floor this week. Have a boogietastic day, my friend! ;)

Alana said...

All three songs were new to me. I enjoyed the duet in "Please Be Careful With My Heart". It's wonderful when social media brings people together rather than destroying relationships.

John Holton said...

Nice choices!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Newer Post Older Post

Ms. Donyarific provides travel and sight-seeing on a budget, photography, Filipino culture, North Luzon tourism. Ms Donyarific from the Philippines posts about life interest topics, the nearest places to hang out in the province she visits, Dagupan City, Mangaldan, San Fabian, Pangasinan and Baguio City, which she loves most of all!

© Design 1/2 a px. · 2015 · Pattern Template by Simzu · © Content Ms Donyarific